14 January 2009

Digital Media


Capturing some digital images on my cell phone camera today, this photograph struck me. Today in photography we were discussing articles dealing with photography since the advent of digital media, how it has challenged the idea of the "real", the photograph as an original object, even the need for further image making (we are so image saturated that you can literally produce any scene you like using found photographs). What is the difference between virtual and real? Can I "catch up" with old friends on facebook, have a "conversation" over text message, if I post a picture of myself today (as above), are you seeing me? Why is my face important? If you can see it, does it mean that I am there?
Maybe, someday, this is what all self portraits will look like?

No comments: