23 October 2008

Resurrection

Can't really take credit for this one. It is a "resurrection" if you will of an old large format negative my grandfather took (or at least I presume it was him with 100% certainty). From the book of negatives I found in my grandmother's basement.



Sassy, right? Again, can't really take credit, but this image has been in my head for almost a year ever since I saw it on a contact sheet. These images are a treasure to me, my thoughts on photography stem back to this idea of time, memory, longing for identity, and these artifacts encapsulate some of those aspects for me. I want to work with manipulating them, perhaps in printmaking, playing up their age, wearing them artificially, folding them a million times, coffee stains. . . but still they will survive.

So this may end up being more a printmaking project, but photographic at its roots. Plus its just fun to show off.

Right now I really want to make my own photographs again, coming up on a bit of a block, can't find quite the right wardrobe. . . annoying. But something is coming soon otherwise I probably won't be able to take it any more. Although I did find a wonderful wardrobe piece yesterday, perfect for some later shoots.

Until later I'll leave you with these images I made last spring (with thanks to Eva for being my shutter finger).




They were in my show this summer but I thought it might be fun for some of you that didn't get to see it. Wallpaper is terif, right?

1 comment:

Robin said...

Cool. And you are right, Grandpa D took that photo. Maybe you should recreate the pose with similar clothes and you in the Grandma B role. Could be cool too. Oh, and you have inspired me too. Check out TheSistersofAffliction.blogspot.com