15 October 2008

Photographing the historic Colver House




On my most recent photo trip I travelled to the historic Colver house in Phoenix. At that point I only knew that I had passed by a partially burnt down house while driving through with a friend. I rode the bus. I didn't know exactly where to stop in order to find it. Finally I got off and turned around. It started raining. I got on the bus in the other direction. Finally I found it.



Upon arrival I noticed a behemoth and unsightly chain link fence. This was apparently a new addition since I had last driven by (either that or I am extremely unobservant). A hitch in my plans. I walked back and forth, circled the block, thoroughly confusing the workers at the autoshop next door. No back entrance was to be found. I contemplated climbing the fence. My demure nature prevailed. I made the compromise of framing the shots so I could get the house in the background, but not the fence. Did I mention I was in costume?
After I did what I could at the house I continued my walk down the street. I came across another house that although not burned down looked slightly old. Took this photograph there.


Thus I completed my roll of film. Rode the bus back to Ashland. Day of photography successfully completed.

Then I found this news story a few days later.

http://www.dailytidings.com/2008/0916/stories/0916_fire.php

Intriguing. Here is an old shot of the Colver house:

Pretty beautiful, right? Yeah.

So we'll see where this story takes me. Until next time, y'all.

All Photographs (except black and white) copyright Amanda Ball 2008.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Awesome, Amanda!! Or should that be AwesomeAmanda! Delighted you're doing this.

Maren said...

Wow honey, you are so talented and I am very proud of you.