06 February 2009

Annihilating with light.

Photos from my last location/critique. One of my classmates is renting the house of our regular photo prof, who is on sabatical this year. She invited me to come photograph in this crazy storage shack. The fact that I am photographing on my photo professor's property without her knowing it is just kind of funny to me. Erika, if you read this someday, I hope you don't mind!


This got totally flipped the wrong way but it sort of looks cool and I'm too lazy to fix it right now.

During this critique my photo professor made a comment that I am not using light in its more traditional sense, to reveal, but rather to conceal or annihilate.


So I had made multiple plans this past weekend to photograph in different locations, but unfortunately due to circumstances uncontrollable by everyone, these all fell through. Hopefully tomorrow I'm going to go out and make it to some strong locations, the environments I photograph in seem to be the key to making the strongest photographs. There is more to work with, less to work around, and the more excited and intrigued by the environment the more energy I have, or the more "creative" I get. "Creative" in quotes because my art history professor hates that word. . .

This last shot is probably the only one I will end up using from this series, if any. I will definitley crop it tighter around the figure, though. It's hard to see this small but the light coming in from the right on the shoulder is quite lovely.


No comments: